Sunday, February 10, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday.....Winter Bloomers


I am so glad that there are certain types of plants that can and will bloom in the dark days of Winter. I get nervous when the days get colder and darker thinking it will be months before I see flowers, but this never happens. Reason......because there are plants that flower under less light than others, and there are plants that are considered short day plants (which means they need so many hours of darkness to flower, such as a schlum or kalanchoe).

The plants I have seen flower over the winter, that are in my collection are:

African Violets
Various Lipstick plants (Aechynanthus)
Azaleas
Schlums (Holiday Cacti)
Kalanchoe
Goldfish plants (Nematanthus)
Fuchsia
String of Hearts (Ceropegia Woodii)
Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milli)
Passion Vine (Passiflora)
Poinsettia

The above links will take you to some of my older blog posts, each one having a picture of the
flower.

I know there are many more winter blooming plants such as Mandevilla, Cyclamen and some begonias. There are many articles to check out on the net that will help to determine which plants flower in the winter.


Fuchsia


Sclumbergera
Happy Green Thumb Sunday!!

1 comment:

Aiyana said...

I have Kalanchoe,Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milli,Poinsettia and Bougainvillea. The others just don't do well here. This year, I've planted the Poinsettia from the holidays. I doubt it will last outside, but my daughter has grown them for years and she lives in the Phoenix area. We'll see!
Aiyana