Saturday, December 8, 2007

Space Violet & Pink Princess Philodendron

So I found a space violet at a local greenhouse a couple months ago. Of course I had to have just one. So I picked one up and brought it home. I did not want to re pot it since I figured it was from a decent greenhouse, so it must be okay. Again, my ignorance got the best of me. I have only watered it once since I got, so it obviously is not drying out too well. Then, last week I noticed the leaves were looking wilted. When I touched them, they fell off, they were rotting from the bast of the plant. I didn't want to do it, but it had to be re potted, cut down and *sniff* dis budded. Today it still seems to be slightly wilted, but I am hoping over the next week or so for it to perk up.I decided that one of my plants deserves an award. The "Slowest Growing Ever" Plant. And the award goes to my Pink Princess Philodendron. I have never seen a plant that does so little in my life. I got this early this past summer, at first I kept it inside, but seeing that it did nothing, I put it outside. Well the sun scorched it a bit, and it still didn't grow any. I think in the time I have had it it has put on two new leaves......one per plant as I have 2 plants in the single pot. I am wondering maybe if I should re pot it, because it too is in a mix from the same greenhouse, so maybe an airier mix might help. I also have it under fluorescent lights in my living room to give it a little push. Even though this is a beautiful plant with really lovely foliage, it is so freakin' slow growing that I just want to throw it...lol.

4 comments:

mr_subjunctive said...

"Space violet?"

Tracy said...

Oh yeah, I got it from an alien.....lol. But seriously NASA sent seeds to space for a few years, and after coming back to earth, they had different characteristics. I will post the link to Optimara's page, they explain it much better than me. Thanks for reading my blog!!

Julie said...

I love thios slow growing pink princess! I want one of these too...I am going to put a link to you on my blog so I can visit you regularly!

Northwest Gardening Association said...

I have this plant and it is a slow grower! People see it and want me to give them a cutting but it takes so long to grow that I am reluctant to do so. Most of the big philos are slow grower but this one is one of the slowest. I also had Philo cannifolium which is very slow too!