Friday, December 14, 2007

Alsobia Dianthiflora.....I killed it

I paid a pretty penny for this plant. I got it labeled as episcia dianthiflora, but turns out, the name has changed to alsobia dianthiflora. I was so proud of this plant, it bloomed faithfully all summer. It never needed a lot of attention.


The other day it looked to be drying up under the outer layer of leaves.....so I started picking away dead leaves and dead stem material. Well this plant is quite tangle-some, and it was taking a long time to pick away all the dead stuff


I had a brilliant idea........I could just ruffle and gently shake all the dead stuff out.....but gently because this plant is comprised of many tiny rosettes. I thought I did a great job........until today when I looked and it was really brown and dead. It seems that my gentle ruffling and gentle shaking broke many of the stems. Note to self: Never ruffle leaves again.


Well I did a number on this one, because it had to be stripped bald. This plant hung down past a foot long, it was gorgeous, and I have reduced it to a pile of roots in a 8 inch pot. Now there is a bright side to this.......mind you it is going to be a ton of work, but look what I have done.

Most of the rosettes are still viable because they haven't had a chance to die yet, only the stems are dead so far. So tomorrow, I am going to go through the pile of plant I have left and try to salvage some of it.
This is one that I have had trouble propagating in the past. I did it once, but I don't know how this will go.

Moral of the Story: Don't be a dumba$$ like me and ruffle your plants up.....lol.

No comments: