Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Episcia & Kohleria

So some of my Episcia is taking over in my humidity domes, rooting itself into other plants, rooting itself into the thin layer of water at the bottom, pretty much rooting itself into anything it can. So to make more space (it's always about space....lol) I decided to root some in a bit of sphagnum moss in a jar.


I also decided to try and take some out to live in my home environment, on a humidity tray.....but within 24 hours, that batch threw a fit, and started drying up, shriveling up......whatever it could do to show it was NOT happy. It got what it wanted and it had to be moved back into the humidity dome. I am going to have to figure out another way to keep it tame, possibly by putting more in covered jars. This is when I always think, I need a terrarium.



Now that I am over the Kohleria rhizome scare, I have been noticing that my Kohleria seems to be growing quite well since all 5 pots were moved into the humidity domes. These guys are pretty finicky when it comes to the humidity. Too little, and they get crispy, too much, they rot. They are growing nicely, most are over 6 inches tall. I pictured this plant to be bigger in leaf size, but maybe they will get bigger by the time they bloom. I have no idea how long it takes before they bloom, grown from a rhizome, I am going to have to look that up, because for such finicky plants, they had better start proving themselves, or they will lose their premium space.



Like many other flowering plants, Episcia and Kohleria like to be snug in their pots before they send out flowers. Well I am thinking they are quite snug.......what do you think?? LOL I refuse to repot them into something bigger until they grow a little more......or at least until I have tortured them into bloom for a little longer. Bigger pot means more space, and I am not going to give them more space until they give me a good reason too......like flowers.

5 comments:

kate said...

They look very snug! I was thinking of you today - I found a Hoya Krimson Queen twining wonderfully around a bamboo trellis. It was on sale and I decided to buy it. Now if I can keep it mealy-bug-free, I will be happy!

Aiyana said...

Hey Tracy, where have you been? Hope all is well. I don't want to see you stop posting like Mr. Brown Thumb. Our little blogroll will not be the same!
Aiyana

mr_subjunctive said...

Heh. I thought exactly the same thing: first Mr. Brown Thumb, now Tracy.

So c'mon now. A sign of life, maybe, at least?

kate said...

Just checking in to see how things are going! I hope you post again soon!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Now I want an Episcia, I have not had one in years, I had one called Chocolate Soldier and one that had beautiful green green leaves and orange flowers.