Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Random Happening's......it's been too long!

It's been way too long since I have made a post on my blog......I am just really finding it hard to write about plants that aren't doing too much, but recuperating from their move. They seem to be adjusting all right now, and some plants are getting a few flowers.



This is my Alsobia Dianthiflora .......the one I nearly killed last year. It is only throwing out a few buds, but a few is better than none. This pot of Alsobia is kept by a north window, whereas my other one is kept closer to a south window......the one with the lower light conditions is the one getting the flowers.


It isn't really visible in the picture, but there are tiny pink flecks in the throat of the flower. It is one of the prettiest flowers I have in my collection.



This is a pic of the seedlings I am growing of the fruit called "pitahaya" or dragon fruit. Officaially called Hylocereus Undatus. They are not the fastest growing plants, and it might take around three years to see a flower, but it's worth it, because these are really amazing plants.



I had to throw this pic in a post. Before I moved I had never seen anything like this in my life. There was a tree, and all over the tree was these golf ball sized spiky things. Turns out to be a Chestnut tree......I am not sure whether they are edible ye, but if they are, I am going to try and grab a few, and cook them up. Locally, these chestnuts make great children's war ammo.....lol.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those chestnut fruits are from the Horse chestnut Aesculus hippocastanum. They are not edible, as they contain a saponin poison called aesculin. I think if you boil them in many changes of water they become edible, but buying the cultivated sort is a lot less trouble. :)

Anonymous said...

Growing up, we had a Chestnut tree in our yard that dropped those lovely spiky balls on our heads regularly. I don't think these are the edible kind and, be careful walking on them barefoot, lol. They will stick into your foot.

MrBrownThumb said...

What a cool flower. Gotta love that you're growing those plants from seed even though they're readily available.

Aiyana said...

Interesting post. I too am having a hard time blogging regularly as I've covered most all the plants in my yard. I do have a few left, so I have just stuck to mostly the cactus flowers that have bloomed over the summer, and saved the last few plants for a dry period. I think I'm in that now. I may get a couple more cactus flowers, but then most all of them rest during the fall and winter.
I just can't post without a photo!
Aiyana

Jordan said...

I like the flowers on your Alsobia Dianthiflora, they are very pretty! Your Hylocereus Undatus also look very cool and I wish you the best of luck growing them!

Keep up the good work with the blog!

Ravick said...

Here in Brazil there is a lot of species of Pytahaya (we call they pitaya, or "deliciosa"). I'd never seem this specie that you showed, but all the cactus fruits I plant in here are edible. Some are suit ou acid, but some others almost don't have taste.

tom said...

wow, don't know if you will see this, but great plants and pictures you have. i have had a dragon fruit plants all over for a couple of years now. cactus and h. compacta's

Anonymous said...

Lol, re this photo. Can't believe came across this randomly.
Many of these trees in my area growing up. We used to call them Monkey Balls. :). Memories.